can't print

I have never set up printing in Linux.  I just added a printer (Epson Stylus
Color 740) via parallel port and I have no idea where to begin.
I installed apsfilter and then magicfilter and apsfilter indicates that
/dev/lp0 /dev/lp1 etc are not installed, yet I can see they are installed.

The Printing HOWTO is just confusing me more.  What do I need to install?
The printer sits there like a paperweight.

Status Information:
 sending job 'pollywog@lilypad+804' to ascii@localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 connected to 'localhost'
 requesting printer ascii@localhost
 error 'LINK_TRANSFER_FAIL' sending str '^Bascii' to ascii@localhost
 job 'pollywog@lilypad+804' transfer to ascii@localhost failed

Should I use lprng or something else for spooling?

thanks

--
Andrew