Re: Printing to a Hewlett Packard Jet Direct card

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 17:57, A. Scott White wrote:
> I am trying to set my Debian box to print to an HP LJ-8000 with a Jet Direct
> card. has anyone ever done this?

Yup, doing exactly this. See below.

> I want the name of the printer to be surgery. Assuming 111.222.333.444 is
> the IP of the Jet Direct card, here is my current setup:
>
> printcap:
> #========================================
> lp|surgery|Surgery:\
>         :lp=/dev/null:sh:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/surgery:\
>         :rm=111.222.333.444:rp=raw:
> surgery-text:\
>         :lp=/dev/null:sh:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/surgery-text:\
>         :rm=111.222.333.444:rp=text:
> #========================================
>
> If I enter the command line:
>
> lpr -P surgery-text myfile.txt
>
> or:
>
> lpr -P surgery mypsfile.ps
>
> I get nothing. If I check lpq, it shows that a job was processed by the
> queue, but nothing comes out of the printer.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

This works, either printing from the Linux (slink) box or from a
multitude of Windoze boxen via samba (with box-stock printer stuff in
/etc/samba/smb.conf).

# This file was generated by /usr/sbin/magicfilterconfig.
#
lp|hp8000|HP LaserJet 8000:\
        :lp=/dev/null:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp8000:rm=docketp:rp=hp8000:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

$ grep docketp /etc/hosts
abc.def.37.12   docketp.domain.org     docketp

ii  lpr             0.48-0.slink2  BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling system
ii  samba           2.0.5a-1       A LanManager like file and printer server fo
ii  samba-common    2.0.5a-1       Samba common files used by both the server a

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\