Printing to a Hewlett Packard Jet Direct card

I am trying to set my Debian box to print to an HP LJ-8000 with a Jet Direct
card. has anyone ever done this?

I want the name of the printer to be surgery. Assuming 111.222.333.444 is
the IP of the Jet Direct card, here is my current setup:

printcap:
#========================================
lp|surgery|Surgery:\
        :lp=/dev/null:sh:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/surgery:\
        :rm=111.222.333.444:rp=raw:
surgery-text:\
        :lp=/dev/null:sh:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/surgery-text:\
        :rm=111.222.333.444:rp=text:
#========================================

If I enter the command line:

lpr -P surgery-text myfile.txt

or:

lpr -P surgery mypsfile.ps

I get nothing. If I check lpq, it shows that a job was processed by the
queue, but nothing comes out of the printer.

Any ideas? Thanks.

A. Scott White
Director of Information Systems and Product Strategy
ACS Healthcare Solutions Group