Re: Printing to a Hewlett Packard Jet Direct card

I've used a LaserJet 4M with JetDirect for years, and I assume a JetDirect
card on one HP printer is pretty much the same as another. Here are the
printcap entries I use:

ascii|caxton_ascii:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=caxton:\
        :rp=text:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/ERRORLOG:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/caxton_ascii:

raw|caxton_raw:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=caxton:\
        :rp=raw:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/ERRORLOG:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/caxton_raw:

Aside from my using a resolvable hostname instead of an address in rm=, the
only real difference I can see is in our lp= entries. Mine works; I can't
figure out whether yours should or not.

Aside from that, I always follow the practice of running lpr as

        lpr -Pprinter_name file_name

not, as you do

        lpr -P printer_name file_name

Again, I don't know if this difference is consequential or not.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com