So much for wishful thinking...

Amazing how these things start. :)

Well, Steve, I hope this teaches you there is no such thing as a friendly
joke when Emacs is in the line. (So to speak.) If the FSF or the GPL did not
exists, Emacs would still be a tax-deductible charity.

(...under the bill of rights...)

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 02:06:38PM -0400, John S Jacobs Anderson was only
   escaped alone to tell thee:

> I haven't seen anybody other than you say that Emacs isn't a text editor. I
> have seen many people say it isn't _just_ a text editor (or words to that
> effect).
>
> Those two statements are _not_ equivalent.

But this is: if Emacs is a text editor, a Caterpiller is an SUV; a chopped
Hog, a scooter.

Cram that down the throats of the DMV.

Or the Hell's Angels.

If Emacs is a text editor(/development environment/mailreader/psychologist)
so was WordPerfect 5.1+. But if children become adults, and not large
children, text editors become word processors.

Hey--some of my favorite authors use Emacs. I don't. So if you wish to argue,
I'll try and fight back, but not very hard. I dislike hurt feelings.

I am curious about one thing, though. Why is Richard Stallman trying to
duplicate an OS whose central philosophy (one job, one purpose, one tool, and
infinite ways to combine them) is seemingly so alien to his signature work?

--
Like all generalizations, this one is a little off, too.