Re: Version Of Debian

On 23 May 2000, Colin Watson wrote:
> Jay Kelly <neutec@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >What Version on of Debian should I be using. Is there a big difference from
> >Slink to Potato to Frozen? Any seuggestion would be great
>
> First off, potato is the same as frozen ...
>
> The distributions are:
>
> slink = stable = 2.1
> potato = frozen = future 2.2
> woody = unstable = future 2.3
>
> Now, the stable/frozen/unstable names are intended to suggest how often
> they change more than how buggy they are. If you want a solidly tested
> distribution, slink is the one to go for, but it's rather old now.
> potato is more current and is *almost* ready for release; if you don't
> know which you should be using then you probably ought not to be trying
> woody just yet.
>
> There are a massive number of improvements from slink to potato: apart
> from anything else, there's something like twice the number of packages
> in potato, and as far as I can tell the quality's only improving.
> Generally speaking I think I'd now recommend that most people start
> using potato, though it does depend on what you need.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                     [cjw44@flatline.org.uk]

Those of us who don't have toll-free telephone facilities don't have
much of a choice; we have to wait until potato becomes stable and we can
get CDs of it.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"To be forced by desire into any unwarrantable belief is a calamity."
I.A. Richards