Re: POP3

I don't know about a default but I use 'qpopper' on my home system.  You
set your mail client to point to the box that contains the pop server
and the user name/password is the user name/password on that box.  Then
you can run 'fetchmail' to bring the mail in.  You can set it to run as
a daemon.  Exim or sendmail needs to be in the mix also.  I'm sure you
will get other responses.
hth,
kent