Re: Please help - network incredibly slow...

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 12:16:52PM +0200, Christian Pernegger wrote
> > A couple of general comments...
> >
> > You don't have standard PC hardware - regular PCs only have IRQs
> > 0-15 whereas you're using IRQ 18 & 19.  I assume that they are
> > supported on your hardware, but if your problem relates to your
> > specific platform then those familiar with your platform may be
> > better-equipped to comment.
>
> That's okay on a dual proc system. They're two stock P2-400s -
> no other platform, really.
>
> > The second machine you have seems to have a lot of problems with
> > eth0 - 14 framing errors in 333 packets is very high.
>
> What IS a framing error? Also, the switch will show collisions
> when transfering data from this machine (lots and lots), even
> though it's basically on its own networkt segment.

Well [waves hands] it means that it pulled an incomplete or
corrupted frame off the wire.  Data is framed so that you can
tell where it starts and ends, and perform basic sanity checks.
A framing error could be a single-bit error in just the wrong
place, or it could be two days' worth of packets in the bit
bucket.

As you have a SMP system, you should ensure that the drivers for
your network cards (and, for good measure, your other drivers)
are SMP safe - most are, but it's not yet something you can take
for granted.

> > Have you tried replacing your cable/NIC on that end?
>
> Cable yes, NIC no - I'll try.
>
> I've got two more questions:
>
> 1) How much throughput should I get on
> 	FTP get
> 	FTP put
>
> on 100 mbit/s? If between 3 and 5.5 MB/sec is ok, then really this
> second machine is the only thing broken...

Couldn't say for sure but I'd expect that 100mbit/s would
top-out at around 10MB/s - it depends on what else is trvelling
on the wire, packet sizes, and whether your PC can keep up (it
should be able to).

> 2) Any idea why transfers on the first one flood all consoles with
> error messages?

That depends... what are the messages?

> Thanks
>
> Christian