Re: Help: Netgear or Linksys NIC's? Please?

Ray,

Yes!

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> I don't know that router {the Flowpoint 2200 DSL}, so I have no opinion. But if you (lucky you!)
> actually have an ISP that understands about Linux, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Ray, I must share this.

About a year ago, totally out-of-the-blue, I decided to 'just try'
Linux. I called the support line at my ISP (Southwest Cyberport here in
Albuquerque) to get help with my ppp dial-up. A young man named James
answered.

I told James I needed help connecting a new Red Hat Linux install to my
ppp dial-up and was there anyone there who could help me. James said
"Linux?" My heart sank. Then James said "Welcome aboard."

For the next hour (luckily for me it was a slow support day) James and I
climbed up and down my Linux file tree like a couple of monkeys. He
covered every possible aspect that a newbie like myself might or might
not need to have a successful first experience. I was just about running
out of index cards to jot down his invaluable input, when he walked me
through the linuxconf 'Network Interface' protocol setup. He had given
me enough background for me to finally understand his simple answer to
my simple question! Many writers of Linux documentation should heed
James's 'method'!

James subsequently became the facilitator of our local LUG (which his
company whole-heartedly supports) and, very oddly enough, is also the
friend who 'bounced off Debian' that I mentioned in my first post in
this thread. He has come to be quite happy in Slack.

James is also my quide in the switch to SDSL, which, of course, I am
contracting through his company. Although I have been 'invited' to
switch to 'better, slicker, cheaper' services offered by other ISP's, I
have never forgotten that first "Welcome aboard." from James and will
remain a lifetime customer of Southwest Cyberport as long as James is a
member of their team.

Well, I do runs on, don't I? Most ISP's get a pretty general running
down among Linux folks so I thought a 'different experience' might be
encouraging. Thanks for all your support and your patience with

montefin

--
In Life Timing is everything; in Linux Permissions is everything.
http://www.montefin.com/~montefin/ (up 24/7)