Re: Telnet Security

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 10:05:32PM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:
> Is there a way to keep my Telnet port open but still have security?

Disable your network connection.

The general answer is no, ssh should be used instead.  There is also a
telnet-ssl secure mode, though I haven't used it.

On the very rare occasions I need to make a local telnet connection from
a single host, I enable a *single IP* in /etc/hosts.allow, for the
duration of the connection, then disable it afterwards.

Telnet is an obsolete protocol which should be retired.  It's
inappropriate for the current networked computing environment.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?       Debian GNU/Linux rocks!