Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

Thus spake w trillich on Sun, May 21, 2000 at 01:49:35PM CDT

> which is why it should not surprise any gurus on this list that
> newbies upgrading from slink know nothing about APT or its magic.
> they don't rtfm because they don't know about it.
>
> NEWBIES: check out 'apt-get'! it's better than dpkg, which is
> better than redhat's rpm 'system'...

Even some of us old-timers don't know a lot about it.  I've been using
Debian since Buzz and Hamm, and didn't know much about it.  My only contact
with it before this year was when one of the less clueful sysadmins for the
Linux box belonging to a local users group did an 'apt-get upgrade' to
update the system shotgun style and seriously hozed a bunch of stuff we'd
spent a lot of time configuring!

I've started using it as my access method under dselect and it's cool.
Comments on this forum have encouraged me to revisit the apt command line
utilities as well.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at