Re: TZ / time zones

Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     will> is that a new standard for specifying timezones, or is it
>     will> just for newbies?
>
> I think it is.  In any case, the important thing is to have
> /etc/timezone correct.  Mine contains the string `PST8PDT', which is
> appropriate for me (I'm in Seattle).

my fault for asking an either-or question... :)

just to clarify, my TZ string used to be 'CST6CDT' but
now, after running tzselect or tzconfig (both allow me
to change the zone--one may call the other, but i've
used both to move to pago-pago and sierra leone and sri
lanka, and they have different interfaces [tzconfig
doesn't confirm, for example]) i've got TZ set to
'America/Chicago'.

so, i presume the 'CST6CDT' was an old standard [posx?] and
'America/Chicago' is the new standard [?name?], and not just
some fluff for newbies.

correct me if i'm wrong, nonetheless. :)