Re: Pine in Debian [Was:Debian vs Red Hat???]

Vitux writes:
> Just a pitiful newbie wondering: I thought all *nix'es were supposed to
> use basically the same filesystem-structure.

The various Linux distributions are far more standardized in this then the
various Unices ever were.

> How come then, that Debian has proprietary placement of files?

It doesn't.

> ...isn't that part of the idea with *nix; to have a standard for the fs,
> which all flavors adhere to?

Linux has a file system hierarchy standard (See
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/fhs).  Debian adheres closely to it.  Some
other distributions don't.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)