Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

> Can I ask why debian doesn't include pine?  Just curious.  I know Debian

The license for pine doesn't allow you to redistribute "modified binaries"
(e.g., fix a bug in the source, compile it, and redistribute the
executable you get from this).  Therefore, it can't be included as part of
Debian -- it doesn't meet the Debian Free Software Guidelines at
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines.  Besides which, we have
to make patches to pine to get it to put its files in the right place,
etc. on a Debian system, and once we make those patches, we're not allowed
to redistribute the compiled program anyway!

Other distros that include Pine must obviously therefore compile without
making patches, or have arranged other (special) redistribution terms with
the University of Washington, or are simply violating the copyright.

We do include the pine source, and a patch that users can use to build
their own Debian-ish binaries.  As a matter of fact, apt will download and
build the package for you:

apt-get --compile source pine4-src

... when this is done, you should have some .deb files you can install via
"dpkg -i".

							Will

|   harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org lowe@asel.udel.edu  |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |