How to configure xfree86 for a monochrome/greyscale monitor?

I have a fixed-frequency greyscale monitor which I was finally able to get
to work after downloading the modelines from si87.com (very nice people)
I have a stable X display and all. However, I am having a few problems.

As this is a greyscale monitor (green signal) it only displays 256 out of
256 'colours', so using 16 or 24 bpp is pointless. However, the apps
running seem to think they have an 8-bit palette out of 24-bits of
possible colour, and I get netscape and xv switching contexts as they're
wont to do at 8-bit colordepth.

What I would like to know is how to make them stop. I think what would
have to happen is to force all apps to use a single greyscale palette. I
just haven't been able to find anything in the documentation for the X
servers and the XF86Config manpage except for setting the 'visual' to
'grayscale' in XF86Config, which seems to have no effect at all.

So what do I do?