Re: Deb. 2.2 setting up loopback/route

    Malte> i've installed a frozen 2.2 debian and encountered some problems setting
    Malte> up route & network loopback. First I found that a "nslookup localhost" wasn't
    Malte> working. Since no network is attached to the PC i understood that i have to
    Malte> configure loopback/route.
    Malte> I configured the loopback device using
    >> ifconfig -lo 127.0.0.1

 Have a look in "/etc/network/interfaces" and at `man ifup'.  Look at
 your "/etc/hosts" and make sure there's an entry for localhost also.

    Malte> ifconfig told me LOOPBACK DEVICE UP (or so) and a >ping
    Malte> 127.0.0.1 worked

    Malte> I think that i have to configure route as well and tried a
    >> route add -net 127.0.0.0 or >route add -net 127.0.0.1
    Malte> and got the errormsg SIODTTR (something like it)
    Malte> A cat /proc/net/route showed me no routing at all.

    Malte> System is a Debian 2.2 frozen with a 2.2.14 homebrew Kernel i.e. not the
    Malte> standard 2.2.15 Kernel any more. Will update to 2.2.15 again soon.

 You don't have to add a route for the lo interface anymore - it's
 implicit.

    Malte> Could anybody tell me: Where is my mistake?

 No major mistakes.  You came to the right place for help.

--
Those who do not study Lisp are doomed to reimplement it - Poorly.
A few months in the laboratory often saves several hours at the library.

mailto:karlheg@debian.org (Karl M. Hegbloom)