Re: UPS wars: APC vs Tripplite?

Ron Farrer (rbf@farrer.net) wrote:

> I've been thinking about getting a new UPS. Previously I purchased APC
> products, but I want to hear about other experiences. I've pretty much
> narrowed it down to a product from APC or Tripplite. APC is more
> expensive, less Linux/UNIX friendly, but makes good products (IMHO).
> Tripplite is less expensive, more Linux/UNIX friendly, but I'm not sure
> how the quality of their product compares to APC.
>
> Does anyone know of some sort of comparison between these two companies
> products? I'm interested in features/quality more then price.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Basically what everyone
seems to be saying is: APC's newer products aren't so good, Tripplite is
ok, and Best Power has the best Linux support.

Visiting each of these companies sites, I like:

Tripplite OMNISMART 700 PNP UPS 120V.
APC Backups Pro 650 UPS 120V.
Best Power Patriot Pro II 750/470 120V.

Going over the specs (many times) the Tripplite seems to have the most
features. Visiting their software page they make all of their software
for Linux available under the GNU GPL. This will be a requirement as I
am NOT running an x86 system (Alpha) and will need to be able to compile
everything...

I have not yet made a choice, and would like to hear everyone's opinion
of these three models.

TIA,

Ron
--