Re: UPS wars: APC vs Tripplite?

Have you looked at Best Power?  The Fortress line is very competitive with
APC, and comes with software and source code!  Onvia.com carries them,
and with free shipping and the various $25 coupon codes floating around...
You can't beat the price!  I bought one on back-order, and it arrived in
two days.  I've had several Fortress units in use at the office for the
last year and a half, and they have been flawless so far.

APC's recent low-end/midrange products have had failure rates over 60%
(of a dozen units) for me in less than two years.  APC's older products
were much more reliable.  As always, your mileage may vary.

Good luck

Jeff

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 04:20:52PM -0700, Ron Farrer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been thinking about getting a new UPS. Previously I purchased APC
> products, but I want to hear about other experiences. I've pretty much
> narrowed it down to a product from APC or Tripplite. APC is more
> expensive, less Linux/UNIX friendly, but makes good products (IMHO).
> Tripplite is less expensive, more Linux/UNIX friendly, but I'm not sure
> how the quality of their product compares to APC.
>
> Does anyone know of some sort of comparison between these two companies
> products? I'm interested in features/quality more then price.
>

> TIA,
>
> Ron
> --
> Email: <mailto:rbf@farrer.net>