/var/lib/dpkg/status gets corrupted

I keep having problems with this file.  Over the past week, I've
probably had to edit it 4 or 5 times.  The latest example is pasted
below.  Obviously, the text is getting jumbled somehow.  I have no
problem editing the file to make it work, but I don't want to keep
having to do this.  Can someone suggest why this might be happening?

Thanks,
Brian

Package: lxdoom-x11
Section: contrib/games
Installed-Size: 508
Maintainer: Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net>
Source: lxdoom
Version: 1.4.1-1.1
Config-Version: 1.4.1-1.1
Provides: doom-engine
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1), xlib6g (>= 3.3.5-1), lxdoom
Suggests: lxdoom-sndserv, lxmusserv
Descripm
 Doom is a 3d shoot'em'up game, written by id Software, first released
in
 1993.
 .
 LxDoom is a version of Doom, designed to run on Linux either under
XFree86 or
 using SVGALib. Doom is a 3D game originally by id software.
 .
 LxDoom is based on Boom, a freely available port of Doom for DOS,
written by
 TeamTNT (http://www.teamtnt.com/).
 .
 This is the X binary for LxDoom. The binary's name is 'lxdoom'.

--

Brian J. Stults
Doctoral Candidate