MUAs (was Re: Help with the /etc/init.d/network)

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:28:15AM -0500, A. Scott White wrote:
> Ethan Benson wrote:
> > that is because outlook is broken and does not understand
> > RFC2015.
>
> What Linux MUA should I use. I'd like one that has a complete feature set
> and doesn't rely on X (I don't like X).

if you don't like X you must really hate windows :P

for MUAs mutt is very nice, and is console based.

> Also, most of the MUA's I've looked at don't clearly define a way to specify
> checking a corporate SMTP server. They all seem to want to check the mail on
> the Linux box itself. I'm really not interested in using this Linux box as a
> mail server, as I already have an SMTP server. I just want to use it to
> check mail.

the only MUA for *nix that includes an MTA is bloatscape
communicator.

the reason is in un*x the philosophy is for a tool to do one job and
do that job very well, which means you have many small tools that you
put together to do powerful and useful things.

the reason MUAs under un*x do not support SMTP is because it is not
thier job.  MS is the one who `innovated' <snicker> the idea of making
bloated MUAs that include an entire MTA.

for your situation you should run an MTA that relays all mail (except
local mail) to your corporate SMTP server for delivery, and use
fetchmail to fetch your mail from the corporate server and deliver to
your local MTA, this is really quite easy to set up (especially if you
are not cursed with a NAT setup)

postfix will allow you to setup the smtp daemon to only listen on
certian interfaces iirc, so you could have it listen only on localhost
and not worry about having a smpt port open.

the fact that MUAs don't inlcude MTAs (ie support smpt) is a FEATURE
not a flaw, it makes them smaller and faster.

if you are absolutly unwilling to setup the MTA on your system then i
would have to suggest that you just stay with your win* mailer as your
options will be very limited for a *nix MUA.  IMHO nothing compares to
mutt as a MUA, but it is not bloated by including a Mail transport
agent.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/