Re: How do I allow empty passwords?

correct me if I'm wrong, but this worked for a non-root user:  To not
require a password for logging in, edit /etc/shadow and remove the
second field from the user's entry.  So for root, it would look
something like:

where each # is 0 or more digits

It's also handy for people who forget their passwords, the feild is
encrypted so you can't change the password, but after deleting it, you
can log in and change it to whatever you want with "passwd"