Video display question.

I've been playing around with my xf86config and my window manager
(afterstep) for a while trying to get images to appear as nice as when I
view them in Windows.  I have a ATI Rage IIc AGP with 8 Mb of RAM and I
run X windows at 24 bpp and a resolution of 1024x768.   My problem is
that Netscape has trouble "allocating a colour map entry for the
background" and jpegs and such all appear grainy no matter what program
I use to view them with.  I've limited my wharf to 5 colour unintensive
icons, since any more would not appear when the wharf was started.
Also, I just have a plain blue background for my root window.

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done so that I can get more colours
on my screen?  Thanks in advance

Brent McMillan