Re: Configuration

Jay Kelly wrote:

> Hello All,
> Im working on getting Samba to run and I came across:
>
> To ensure that the server is run as a daemon whenever the machine is
> started, and to ensure that it runs as root so that it can serve multiple
> clients, you will need to modify the system startup files. Wherever
> appropriate (for example, in /etc/rc), insert the following line,
> substituting port number, log file location, configuration file location and
> debug level as desired:
>
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D -l /var/adm/smblogs/log -s
> /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
>
> Where should I place this new line at? What file do I add to or do I create
> a new file. Im confused...
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Jay

I believe this documentation is for non-Debian distros. If you installed samba using
apt-get or dselect, this should be taken care of for you already. It will be in the
samba startup script. Look in /etc/rc2.d/S[whatever]samba; you might not find the
exact lines as above, but you will find the lines which accomplish the same thing.