Potato boot problems

I'm using the current disk set of potato boot/root disks (build 2.2.13,
5/5/2000) and the 3-disk set of drivers (May 5 2000).  I install the
drivers from the disks before doing anything else, assuming that this will
allow me to do a http or ftp install.  This seems to go alright, but when
I try to configure the modules (so as to install my network card) I get a
whole lot of ugly messages (they look like sed is barfing) and the list of
network drivers is blank.

1.  What's wrong?
2.  How can I do a network install of potato?

Help!

--
"Yea, I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
but I fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother f'er in the valley"

Christopher DeMarco
Neutron, Inc.
Information Technology
1.800.813.4218 x 245