Re: Potato boot problems

Christopher DeMarco <chrisd@neutronusa.com> writes:

> I'm using the current disk set of potato boot/root disks (build 2.2.13,
> 5/5/2000) and the 3-disk set of drivers (May 5 2000).  I install the
> drivers from the disks before doing anything else, assuming that this will
> allow me to do a http or ftp install.  This seems to go alright, but when
> I try to configure the modules (so as to install my network card) I get a
> whole lot of ugly messages (they look like sed is barfing) and the list of
> network drivers is blank.

What architecture are you?

For a proper bug report, we need actual error messages.  You should be
able to run things manually or else

> 1.  What's wrong?

Probably a bug in boot-floppies, or, rather, modconf.

> 2.  How can I do a network install of potato?

If you are on i386, try the idepci or compact flavors.  They *may*
include support for your network devices.

Alternatively, you may be able to 'modprobe' your required modules by
hand on tty2.