Re: Broken Startup (repeat)...

> I seem to have somehow have broken my system, and want a minimal way to ix it;
> Is there a "refresh system files" option for Debian with the rescue disk,
> or dselect, or ... ?
>
> I.e. to say "install base" from a rescue, will this do an add-only refresh
> of files from the archives, or will it wipe out what I have and start over?

if your only problem is getting into the system, then you might try
"linux single" or "linux init=/bin/bash" (the hardcore variant) at the
lilo promt.

if you want to restore config files, you might try, what i already
suggested to somebody: get the boot-floppies base archive (the 15 meg tgz
file), dive into it with some neat archive browser like mc and extract the
necessary config files (or extract just everything, but this is probably
not a good idea).

If Windows is the answer, I want the problems back!