Re: Debian on UMSDOS?

>     The latter.  I know I can get Slackware onto UMSDOS fairly easy as well as
> a few others (Monkey Linux comes to mind).  I much prefer Debian however.
> Easier to have the dreaded Win98 (Asheron's Call, mmmmmmm) and Linux on a
> single partition for multi-booting that to juggle different partitions.

ok ...
i don't know, if the boot floppies offer the "install on umsdos" option.
i guess no, otherwise you probably would not ask.
so you would have to go that way (only my ideas, i didn't try that):
make a directory c:\linux
boot linux. load the umsdos fs driver module.
define /dev/hda1 as your / partition; set the type to umsdos;
mount it (all this _should_ be possible in the setup program - if not,
you have to go to the second console (ALT-F1) and do
"mount -t umsdos /dev/hda1 /target"). if everything works as expected,
you should be able to to install lunux now (i hope, the partition does not
require a initial setup - if it does, you have a problem).
now comes the hard part: you need a kernel with umsdos support compiled
in. i don't think, you will find that in the standard kernels. would be
nice, if somebody could tell a place to get such thing, otherwise i can
compile a kernel for you (you would have to tell me something about your
hardware).

final notes:
1) these are only thoughts! they may be total bullshit!
2) it is no good idea to install linux and windoze on one partition. it is
a performance (umsdos is slow by nature, if it was not drastically
improved since the 2.0.0 kernel *g*) and security issue (a stupid windows
virus might delete all your linux files, you have no protection while in
windoze). however ...

good luck!

If Windows is the answer, I want the problems back!