Broken Startup (repeat)...

I seem to have somehow have broken my system, and want a minimal way to ix it;
Is there a "refresh system files" option for Debian with the rescue disk, or dselect, or ... ?

I.e. to say "install base" from a rescue, will this do an add-only refresh of files from the archives, or will it wipe out what I have and start over?

Since the system was working FINE before a re-boot, I feel that there must just be one small thing somewhere broken...

----------------------------

> Help!!
>
> I had a working system, and after several weeks up we were moving some
> (Apache) files around and wanted to make sure that the system setup for
> Apache was OK, se we re-booted.
>
> At re-boot I now get:
The boot goes into

INIT: entering run level 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogd

and hangs...

I edited /etc/rc2.d/S10sysklogd -> /etc/init.d/sysklogd to give hello messages, and find that is hangs on the actual call to start /sbin/syslogd. Commenting out this call and everything seems to run OK as far as I can tell. Trying to manually start syslogd also hangs. I notice that during boot a ctl-break shows a ps like table of processes, and that does show two instances of syslogd running.

Any ideas?

The other broken symptom is that networking does not work; ifconfig reports everything fine, but ping hangs, and the hub shows the link not active. During boot the ethernet card shows proper initialization, and seems OK.

The way I broke things seems that I had tar'ed up a lot of old files from a previous system, and accidently un'tared too many of them, including the /etc/fstab that was bad. nothing else from etc was in the archive, so I cannot account for the current problem.

Is there a "refresh system files" option for Debian with the rescue disk, or dselect, or ... ?

Thanks,
Gregory Guthrie

Dr. Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (515)472-1125    Fax: -1103
       Computer Science Department
       College of Science and Technology
       Maharishi University of Management
      (Maharishi International University 1971-1995)
        http://www.mum.edu/cs_dept