Re: gnome-session + .Xclients, stopped working

Ron Farrer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running gnome-session and WindowMaker, I am trying to get
> Gnome-session to load my '~/.Xclients' file. It did for a while but
> after upgrading potato to the most recent potato it quite working.
>
> Here is what I did to get all of this working before. I've changed my
> '/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome' to include (line numbers added for clarity):
>
> 95: usrclients=$HOME/.Xclients
>
> 126: if haveoption allow-user-clients; then
> 127:   if [ -f $usrclients ]; then
> 128:     source $usrclients
> 129:   fi
> 130: fi
>
> My '/etc/X11/Xsession.options looks like:
>
> allow-failsafe
> allow-user-modmap
> allow-user-resources
> allow-user-clients
> allow-user-xsession
> use-ssh-agent
>
> Here is my '~/.Xclients':
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> echo "Beginning to load .Xclients" > ~/.xlog
>
> xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults &
> xrdb -merge ~/.Xauthority &
>
> xhost +localhost &
> xhost +mustang &
>
> echo "Finished loading .Xclients" > ~/.xlog
>
> Here is the permissions on it (I changed them to 777 just to see if that
> helped, otherwise I wouldn't give anyone permission to execute something
> of mine!):
>
>    1 -rwxrwxrwx    1 rbf      rbf           196 May 14 08:38 .Xclients
>
> I am lost as to why it worked for a while then all of a suddent not.
> There are no errors in any '~/.X*' or '~/.x*' files.
>
> When I add "exec" to the beginning of every command in my '~/.Xclients'
> I cannot login. It ends up back at the gdm login screen. If I remove
> them (as in the example above) I can log in but it doesn't execute the
> commands. If I add "exec" to my '/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome' on line 128 it
> also fails to login and I end up back at gdm.
>
> Any ideas?
I think you need to edit the file /home/"your user directory"/.Xsession
to correct this. I had a similar problem with getting the gnome-session
panels and my gnome defaults to work with Enlightenment after upgrading.
I added the line exec gnome-session to this file and everything was OK
again.
--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173