Re: Whole net of scriptkiddiez and wannabes

> I think I can secure my box quite good with SSH, ipchains and disabling
> most of the inetd-services.
i'm right now hacking sifi to make it even better than it is now. sifi is
a lot better than ipchains (it is statefull).
ssh should be safe, so far.
disabling unneeded inet services is always a good idea.

> But what about 'sniffers'?
bad thing.

> I have no experience in sniffers and even if my SSH is protected, my
> mail and IRC-client connections are not encrypted.
i don't know anything about irc security. :-(

> When Exim is connecting to another host to deliver mail, can they see
> the contents of the connection?
yes, they can.
my soultion: i use ssh to forward ports to a trusted net with a mail
server. from there i can fetchmail and send to it.

well - my icq, www, ftp and everything else goes through the untrusted
net, but who cares?
sensitive web servers offer ssl and remote logins can be serverd with
ssh. the rest is not _that_ important, i think.

If Windows is the answer, I want the problems back!