Whole net of scriptkiddiez and wannabes

Hello.

I'm about to connect my Debian-box to a LAN with alot of those
'wannabe-crackers'.

I know this is not very wise, and the safest way to avoid being messed
with is not to connect at all.
But still, it's low cost Internet access :)

I think I can secure my box quite good with SSH, ipchains and disabling
most of the inetd-services.
But what about 'sniffers'?

I have no experience in sniffers and even if my SSH is protected, my
mail and IRC-client connections are not encrypted.
When Exim is connecting to another host to deliver mail, can they see
the contents of the connection?

What can I do to protect myself from this?

Regards...
	Andreas