Latin-1 characters in X, how?

My apologies for the newbieness of this post; when it comes to the
world of icons, colors and pixels, I am indeed a newbie, having spent
the last 4 years or so in text mode.

On the Linux virtual consoles I can enter Latin-1 characters into any
program using the Compose key sequences, provided these are defined in
the loaded keymap.  For example, here's a piece of my
/etc/console-tools/default.kmap:

keycode 52 =    period          greater         Meta_period     Meta_greater \
		Compose

compose '`' 'A' to '?À'
compose '`' 'a' to '?à'
compose '\'' 'A' to '?Á'
compose '\'' 'a' to '?á'
compose '^' 'A' to '?Â'
compose '^' 'a' to '?â'
compose '~' 'A' to '?Ã'
compose '~' 'a' to '?ã'
compose '"' 'A' to '?Ä'
compose '"' 'a' to '?ä'
compose 'O' 'A' to '?Å'
compose 'o' 'a' to '?å'
compose '0' 'A' to '?Å'
compose '0' 'a' to '?å'
compose 'A' 'A' to '?Å'
compose 'a' 'a' to '?å'
compose 'A' 'E' to '?Æ'
compose 'a' 'e' to '?æ'

The question is, how can I do the same with X clients?  I know about
xmodmap and I have read its manpage, but it doesn't help me because it
only talks about mapping single keycodes to keysyms.  Is the
interpretation of compose sequences something that's left to the
client under X?  If so, how do I enable this in rxvt (or in xterm, if
needs be)?

I use potato, and everything in the environment is set up for US
English, and I want to leave it this way.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
In his own soul a man bears the source