Re: Newbie Question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 07:13:29PM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:
> Ok I sure this is a real stupid question, but Im a newbie here. I just
> installed Debian and looks like its running great. I log in as root and
> noticed that the promt before the cusor is an > instead of the :# I see on
> my other machine. When I try to start the xf86config I get no such file, But
> I know its there I just installed it. Can someone help with this????

A '>' is the default prompt of sash (stand alone shell).  Chances are one
machine has it installed and the other doesn't.  I'd be sash is root's
default shell (some think this is a very good idea, but since you're a
self-proclaimed newbie, I'll spare you the explanation).  sash also has a
very limited default path, and I'm not sure whether or not it can parse
startup scripts.  You should be able to solve the problem by typing 'bash'
at the '>' prompt if my initial assumption is correct.

You can solve it for good by running 'dpkg --purge sash'.

If this isn't correct advice, please post the output of:

ps aux|grep $$

and

echo $PATH

HTH
-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human