Re: Newbie Question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 07:13:29PM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:

Please stop screaming -- one exclamation point is enough.

> I just installed Debian and looks like its running great. I log in
> as root and noticed that the promt before the cusor is an > instead
> of the :# I see on my other machine.

The prompt is something you choose, usually in a .bash_profile or
.bashrc file.  I'm suspecting that you signed in as some user
account, instead of the all-powerful root.

Type "whoami" at the prompt.  If it's anything but root, that
explains the problem here:

> When I try to start the xf86config I get no such file, But I know
> its there I just installed it. Can someone help with this????

If you aren't root, type "su root" at the prompt, then at the
password prompt the root password you chose during the installation
process.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum