Re: Subject: LS-120 install

It's a lot more tricky. Basically with a compliant x86 system the BIOS
calls that access the FDC/FDD are translated into ATAPI calls so REAL-MODE
accesses work. This allows bootloaders such as syslinux to transparantly
boot floppy disks in one of these drives. I don't know how this happens in
detail, but it is the observed behaviour.

However, when the kernel takes control it looks specifically for an FDC
and checks in the BIOS data area to learn what physical devices are
registered there.

So basically why disk change doesn't work with LS-120 drives is that the
kernel recognises fd0 and fd1 only being legacy floppy devices.

This might change as part of devfs, but I really don't understand the
inner kernel or BIOS workings to be able to more than just guess.