Re: "wall" permission

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 12:42:19PM +0700, Umum Wijoyo wrote:
> Can anybody help me here?
>
> I don't know why, but my "wall" program permission seems to get violated
> each time by normal users. It always changes to root: tty ownership.
> ???
> Urip Hudiono
> ---------------
> Bandung, Indonesia

sorry I am not quite sure i understand you, do you mean /usr/bin/wall
is having its perms/ownership changed back to root.tty when change it
to something else?

if that is the case you probably have suidmanager installed, which is
run by cron every day and will reset permissions on registered files
to the saved values.

to change suid programs to non-default permissions do the following:

suidregister /usr/bin/wall root tty 0755

for example would change and enforce non-setgid permissions on
/usr/bin/wall, this will also be preserved when the package is
upgraded.