Re: Unidentified subject!

Christopher Klumb wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been anxiously waiting for Debian 2.2 to be released.  Awhile back I
> installed 2.1 and was very impressed with the package system and overall
> stability.  However, I had problems upgrading to kernel 2.2.  Since I
> needed kernel 2.2 and needed a fully functional system I returned to using
> Mandrake Linux.
>
> Currently, I have some time to fiddle with my system until I start working
> again. My question is: Should I install the 2.2 pre-release?  If so, what
> suggests do you have?  Also, will upgrading to the official release be
> reasonably straight foward?

I haven't experienced any problems with 2.2 yet; it seems very stable.
If you want to stay on the safe side, only upgrade the packages that
need to be upgraded. I'd recommend using apt-get to upgrade if Debian is
still installed. Then either do 'apt-get install important-package' to
upgrade only those you want, 'apt-get upgrade' to upgrade all packages,
or 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to go straight to 2.2 (make sure to 'apt-get
update' first!). You may need to point your /etc/apt/sources.list to
unstable first.

As for the problems with the 2.2.* kernels, make sure your kernel
version is 2.2.14 or greater. There have been problems with earlier
2.2.* kernels.

> Thanks
> Christopher Klumb
> cklumb@houston.rr.com