Re: lilo in potato, and the 1024 cylinder issue

The current potato version of lilo (21.4.2-1) already does support
booting from beyond 1024 cylinders. In order to boot from beyond 1024,
you need to use "lba32" in /etc/lilo.conf as stated below in an excerpt
from the changelog.gz file:

Changes from version 21-3 to 21-4 (12-Apr-2000) -- John Coffman

  Boot loader
  -----------
    - bugfix in 'read.S' that disabled the combination 'linear' with
      'compact' ( '-l' and '-c' together).
    - fixed numeric convesions; kernel accepts octal, decimal, and hex,
so
      octal is now recognized by the boot loader.
    - bugfix patch where ES segment prefix was ommitted (RHL
'second.patch')
    - bugfix for compilation with 'LARGE_EBDA' option which caused
command
      line passed to the kernel to be truncated at 78 characters

  Map installer
  -------------
    - RHL6.2 loopdev updates added

Changes from version 21 to 21-3 (24-FEB-2000)  -- John Coffman
-----------------------------                  <johninsd@san.rr.com>

  Boot loader
  -----------

    - will boot from disks up to 2048Gb in size, as long as the BIOS
allows
      the Enhanced BIOS calls for 32-bit sector addressing using packet
calls.
    - checks if BIOS supports packet calls (int 0x13, AH=0x42), and uses
      these calls if 'lba32' was specified.  Otherwise, it uses
      the C:H:S addressing scheme of the original IBM-PC BIOS.
    - the disk read routine is separated into its own source file,
"read.S",
      which is included in the first-stage, and second-stage loader
codes.
      The first stage loader uses a very stripped down read routine,
since it
      only deals in single sector transfers.
    - if BIOS does not support 32-bit packet calls, and the cylinder
address
      overflows when the 32-bit address is converted to C:H:S, then a
"9f"
      error code is issued.

Tom