lilo in potato, and the 1024 cylinder issue

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting the version of lilo which
supports booting from above the 1024th cylinder into potato?

>From /usr/doc/lilo/changelog.Debian.gz:

lilo (1:21.3-3) unstable; urgency=HIGH

  * This version supports booting from cylinders above 1024.
    (Been in unstable for 3 weeks, and I got 0 complaints about it, so
    I think it's definatly worth to include it in potato).

 -- Vincent Renardias <vincent@debian.org>  Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:57:10
+0100

My particular problem is the typical one.  However, there's something I
don't understand.  I downloaded the lilo source for version 21.4.3 which
supposedly supports this operation on "modern" drives/BIOSes... compiled
it, and tried to run it on my new machine which is running an Athlon 750
on an Asus K7M, with a Maxtor 7200 RPM ATA66 30 GB drive... and the BIOS
is dated Dec. 99 IIRC.  Shouldn't this be sufficiently recent to allow
me to boot from >1024?

I want to set up a 10GB FAT32 partition for Win98 on hda1, and have my
linux and swap partitions as hda2 and hda3.  But when I tried this --
even with the new lilo -- same old error message.  Anyone have any idea
at all how to make this work with Lilo?

Changing the partitioning scheme is really not an option (long story) so
afaict my choices are:

- loadlin (works fine now but should Windows ever become unbootable for
  any reason...  I'd be screwed ;)  )

- set up GRUB, which, if I am correct, will not have this problem (am I
  right?)

- figure out wtf I am doing wrong with Lilo!

Thank you for any advice.