entering non-ASCII characters in xemacs21

Ok, I would have thought this would be easy, but how. eg how do I
enter latan characters with accents, such as é, ö, etc, with a
standard US type keyboard?

Cutting and pasting from netscape works fine, but not quite what I had
in mind ;-).

I get the impression that this requires the mule version of xemacs,
which I have installed, but I can only see several input methods for
Japanese. Does this mean Japanese and ASCII characters are the only
characters sets directly supported by Debian? Surely not.

So what am I missing/confused about/forgetting/loosing?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>