Re: Problem moving /usr to new partition

On 08 May 2000, John Pearson wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 05:03:16PM +0800, Lindsay Allen wrote
> >

> > No.  If I make a file ee and eee is a hardlink to it, I get this:
> >
> > elm:$ cp -la ee* /tmp
> > cp: cannot create link `/tmp/ee': Invalid cross-device link
> > cp: cannot create link `/tmp/eee': Invalid cross-device link
> > elm:$ ll ee*
> > -rw-rw-r--    2 allen    allen         902 Mar 23 19:49 ee
> > -rw-rw-r-
> >
> > If I use "cp -a ee* /tmp" it creates two separate files.
> >
> > I ran into this when copying my hard drive to a new, bigger one.
> >

> Use
> elm:$ find . | afio -p /tmp
>
> It's the only way I've found that seems to do the right
> thing, every time.  I've used it many time to move trees
> from one filesystem to another, and it's yet to bite
> me.

I recently used cpio -pdmv (posted on this list some time ago).

Everything worked perfectly.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"To be forced by desire into any unwarrantable belief is a calamity."
I.A. Richards