Re: Problem moving /usr to new partition

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 05:03:16PM +0800, Lindsay Allen wrote

> No.  If I make a file ee and eee is a hardlink to it, I get this:
>
> elm:$ cp -la ee* /tmp
> cp: cannot create link `/tmp/ee': Invalid cross-device link
> cp: cannot create link `/tmp/eee': Invalid cross-device link
> elm:$ ll ee*
> -rw-rw-r--    2 allen    allen         902 Mar 23 19:49 ee
> -rw-rw-r-
>
> If I use "cp -a ee* /tmp" it creates two separate files.
>
> I ran into this when copying my hard drive to a new, bigger one.

Use
elm:$ find . | afio -p /tmp

It's the only way I've found that seems to do the right
thing, every time.  I've used it many time to move trees
from one filesystem to another, and it's yet to bite
me.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au