Re: write protect floppy forever!?

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 04:57:01AM -0700, Kenneth Scharf wrote
> I wanted to copy a floppy (as an image).  So I
> inserted a floppy in /dev/fd0 and used dd if=/dev/fd0
> of=./temp
> then pop'ed the source diskette out and replaced it
> with a blank and used dd if=./temp of=/dev/fd0
> (while root of course :->)
>
> This works fine, but if in the first move the floppy
> was write protected the second command fails with
> "write only file system".  I couldn't again write to
> /dev/fd0 without rebooting.  Loging out as root and
> loging in again as root won't help.  There must be a
> way to tell /dev/fd0 to read the damn write protect
> switch again!!!!

If your kernel has floppy support compiled as a module,
you can
# rmmod floppy
and next time the floppy module is loaded everything is
fine.

The floppy driver is a bit flaky (not many people rely
on it heavily, I guess), and compiling it as a module
is a Good Thing, IMO.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au