write protect floppy forever!?

I wanted to copy a floppy (as an image).  So I
inserted a floppy in /dev/fd0 and used dd if=/dev/fd0
of=./temp
then pop'ed the source diskette out and replaced it
with a blank and used dd if=./temp of=/dev/fd0
(while root of course :->)

This works fine, but if in the first move the floppy
was write protected the second command fails with
"write only file system".  I couldn't again write to
/dev/fd0 without rebooting.  Loging out as root and
loging in again as root won't help.  There must be a
way to tell /dev/fd0 to read the damn write protect
switch again!!!!

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze