Re: Mounting non Debian partitions

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 08:30:39PM +1000, Russ Pitman wrote:
> 	Have only just managed to install Debian 2.1, after giving up
> many times.
> 	Now mostly it all works, all I need to do is hang in there.
>
> 	Normally using  redhat, I now need to shift configurations etc
> but when in deb. and I try to mount any linux partition that is not
> debian, mount balks with this error
> 			---------
> $ mount -t ext2 /dev/hda9 /rh6
>
> EXT2-fs: 03:09: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional
> features
> mount: wrong filesystem  etc. etc.
> 	or too many etc. etc. ( the usual complaint)
> 			----------
> 	Working out of redhat there is no problem in mounting other
> distributions partitions/filesystems, at least I haven't had any to
> date and the result is the same from fstab
>
> 	Is this a known problem, will an upgrade fix things. I am
> currently using RH 6.2.Have I missed some changes in the ext2 fs?

Believe this is the more recent change in ext2 filesystem structure.
There's some new sparse superblock things and a different default block
size.  Debian 2.1 is getting a bit old.  Since you've just installed,
and probably don't have too much invested in your Debian setup, I'd
suggest immediately upgrading to Potato (aka "frozen").  Simply change
you apt sources (/etc/apt/sources.list) to point to something like:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
(pick an appropriate mirror...)

Then do "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade".  If you
installed alot of software this'll take a long time over a modem. But
the newer software should make it worthwhile.

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.