Re: Mounting non Debian partitions

Once upon a time, I heard Russ Pitman say

> 	Have only just managed to install Debian 2.1, after giving up
> many times.
Good work!

> 	Now mostly it all works, all I need to do is hang in there.
>
> 	Normally using  redhat, I now need to shift configurations etc
> but when in deb. and I try to mount any linux partition that is not
> debian, mount balks with this error
> 			---------
> $ mount -t ext2 /dev/hda9 /rh6
>
> EXT2-fs: 03:09: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional
> features
> mount: wrong filesystem  etc. etc.
> 	or too many etc. etc. ( the usual complaint)
> 			----------
> 	Working out of redhat there is no problem in mounting other
> distributions partitions/filesystems, at least I haven't had any to
> date and the result is the same from fstab
>
> 	Is this a known problem, will an upgrade fix things. I am
> currently using RH 6.2.Have I missed some changes in the ext2 fs?

IIRC, it is a known problem, sort of feature enhancement. mke2fs in
potato, or rh6 could generate ext2 fs that kernel 2.0 could not read. Try
upgrading your kernel to 2.2 or try forcing the mount.

cheers,
| Chanop Silpa-Anan                 <Chanop.Silpa-Anan@syseng.anu.edu.au>     |
| Australian National University                                              |
| got sparetime ?                                                             |
| http://kenji.anu.edu.au/                                                    |
|           Debian GNU/Hurd           ICQ uin 11366301                        |