lilio.config

Dear, Sir,
How are you.......I want to manage booting,between Debian linux 2.1r2 & win98 , I re-edit /etc/lilo.conf, I add prompt & other=.... but nothing,I remove every text iside lilo.conf... nothing, I remove lilo.conf itself also nothing . in all cases I got a Debian Login #
questions:
    1- If i want to pause screen while booting,What is the key used?
2- I use cfdisk,and changing type, one for win98,and other for linux, when I boot to use win98 nothing about linux,what logically cfdisk do?
Elsadig M. H. Khanagi