Re: Getting X and 3dfx card to work... ???

    > Hi!  I'm trying to optimize my X setup to use the 3dfx V. 3000
    > card I just purchased, and have gotten confused over the
    > differences between the debs. available for the card and the
    > files mentioned at the linux.3dfx.com website.  I had wanted to
    > try Quake as well, and that has been my testbed for whether
    > things are working, which doesn't seem to be the case right now
    > (see output below).

    > I have installed libglide2-v3, 3dfxdevice-module, mesa3-glide2,
    > glide2-base, and quake-3dfx.  The build and installation of the
    > module seemed to go well, and I've put 3dfx in my etc/modules
    > file to have it inserted on boot-up.

    > At the linux.3dfx site they mention a version of X which is
    > modified for 3dfx.  Is this needed for my system?  My confusion
    > stems from debian having all these packages obviously targeted
    > for the card, so one would think that other outside files are
    > not needed.  Yet the Debian specific part at that site does talk
    > about using the modified X system.

    > I don't really mind downloading a 43 Mb file if that's what it
    > takes (I need to sleep sometime anyway :) but want to be sure
    > before I further modify my system.  The last thing I want is to
    > wind up with a lot of useless, unwanted stuff floating around.

I believe that if you really want to get the power out of your card,
you'll have to download the xserver from the linux.3dfx.com site.  The
current xserver in debian potato is 3.3.6, while the one on 3dfx.com
is something like 3.9.x or maybe even 4.0.

I'm not sure about the libglide stuff though.  I don't believe they
have changed much recently...

    > When I try to run quake-3dfx, I see the screen change, a
    > cartoonish "3dfx" flashes by, then the system returns to the
    > desktop. Following is what I see in the xterm window:

    > daddy@H_Potter:~$ quake-3dfx Removing symlink ./idsw/pak0.pak
    > Removing symlink ./idsw/base ln:
    > /home/daddy/.quake/./idsw/pak0.pak: File exists ourbase
    > /usr/share/games/quake/idsw basename of ourbase idsw QuakeForge
    > (UQuake) v0.1.1 Added packfile ./base/pak0.pak (339 files)
    > FindFile: can't find gfx/pop.lmp Console initialized.  UDP
    > Initialized Exe: 04:26:17 Feb 27 2000 16.0 megabyte heap video
    > memory unprotecting GL_VENDOR: Brian Paul GL_RENDERER: Mesa
    > Glide v0.30 Voodoo_Graphics 0 CARD/12 FB/4 TM/2 TMU/NOSLI
    > GL_VERSION: 1.2 Mesa 3.1 GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_EXT_blend_color
    > GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_logic_op GL_E XT_blend_subtract
    > GL_EXT_paletted_texture GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_polygon
    > _offset GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_texture_object
    > GL_EXT_texture3D GL_MESA_windo w_pos GL_MESA_resize_buffers
    > GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_abgr
    > GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
    > GL_INGR_blend_func_s eparate GL_ARB_multitexture
    > GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_PGI_misc_hints GL_EXT_com
    > piled_vertex_array GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint
    > 3DFX_set_global_palette GL_FXMESA_glo bal_texture_lod_bias
    > GL_EXT_texture_env_add Converting 8to24 8-bit GL extensions
    > enabled.  Video mode 640x480 initialized.  You must be the owner
    > of the current console to use svgalib.  Not running in a
    > graphics capable console, and unable to find one.  svgalib:
    > cannot get keyboard mode.  Error: keyboard_init() failed
    > daddy@H_Potter:~$

>From the error here, looks like you need to be in a console (not x), and as
root to run quake-3dfx, since it's using svgalib.

good luck.

Marshal