Getting X and 3dfx card to work... ???

Hi!

I'm trying to optimize my X setup to use the 3dfx V. 3000 card I just
purchased, and have gotten confused over the differences between the
debs. available for the card and the files mentioned at the
linux.3dfx.com website.  I had wanted to try Quake as well, and that has
been my testbed for whether things are working, which doesn't seem to be
the case right now (see output below).

I have installed libglide2-v3, 3dfxdevice-module, mesa3-glide2,
glide2-base, and quake-3dfx.  The build and installation of the module
seemed to go well, and I've put 3dfx in my etc/modules file to have it
inserted on boot-up.

At the linux.3dfx site they mention a version of X which is modified for
3dfx.  Is this needed for my system?  My confusion stems from debian
having all these packages obviously targeted for the card, so one would
think that other outside files are not needed.  Yet the Debian specific
part at that site does talk about using the modified X system.

I don't really mind downloading a 43 Mb file if that's what it takes (I
need to sleep sometime anyway :) but want to be sure before I further
modify my system.  The last thing I want is to wind up with a lot of
useless, unwanted stuff floating around.

When I try to run quake-3dfx, I see the screen change, a cartoonish
"3dfx" flashes by, then the system returns to the desktop. Following is
what I see in the xterm window:

daddy@H_Potter:~$ quake-3dfx
Removing symlink ./idsw/pak0.pak
Removing symlink ./idsw/base
ln: /home/daddy/.quake/./idsw/pak0.pak: File exists
ourbase /usr/share/games/quake/idsw
basename of ourbase idsw
QuakeForge (UQuake) v0.1.1
Added packfile ./base/pak0.pak (339 files)
FindFile: can't find gfx/pop.lmp
Console initialized.
UDP Initialized
Exe: 04:26:17 Feb 27 2000
16.0 megabyte heap
video memory unprotecting
GL_VENDOR: Brian Paul
GL_RENDERER: Mesa Glide v0.30 Voodoo_Graphics 0 CARD/12 FB/4 TM/2
TMU/NOSLI
GL_VERSION: 1.2 Mesa 3.1
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax
GL_EXT_blend_logic_op GL_E
XT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_paletted_texture GL_EXT_point_parameters
GL_EXT_polygon
_offset GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture3D
GL_MESA_windo
w_pos GL_MESA_resize_buffers GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette
GL_EXT_rescale_normal
 GL_EXT_abgr GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
GL_INGR_blend_func_s
eparate GL_ARB_multitexture GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_PGI_misc_hints
GL_EXT_com
piled_vertex_array GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint 3DFX_set_global_palette
GL_FXMESA_glo
bal_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_env_add
Converting 8to24
8-bit GL extensions enabled.
Video mode 640x480 initialized.
You must be the owner of the current console to use svgalib.
Not running in a graphics capable console,
and unable to find one.
svgalib: cannot get keyboard mode.
Error: keyboard_init() failed
daddy@H_Potter:~$

Can someone set me on the proper path here?

Kenward