Re: Problems leaving computer on overnight

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Bryan K. Walton wrote:

Bryan K Walton>>I have apm disabled in the bios.  But when I come in each
              >>morning, my computer is CREEPING.  ...

Alex> I get this problem about every 1 in 10 (maybe 15) suspends.  From what I
    > can tell CPU Idle calls are being constantly called so slowing your
    > machine to a grinding halt (however giving you lots of battery life
    > :) ).  I have tried lots of APM kernel compile options to try and stop
    > this from happening however I haven't found out how to fix the problem
    > yet.

Um, actually, you probably want to turn -off- the compile option for making
CPU idle calls when bored.  The result should eat more energy, but if you're
plugged into wall power you shouldn't care.

In the ideal world -it- wouldn't care - it would notice through the apm code
that you're "AC online" and would never bother to issue idle calls.  I don't
think it's that bright yet.  Anyone who knows how to read that glop of code
who knows better than I, please advise...

I think this maybe also responsible for some systems getting a sliding clock
time.  If you switch over into slower CPU but the sysclock thinks a tick is
a smaller portion of realtime... another thing where reading the code might
bear a clue?

> 	However I have found a "sort-of" work around (well it works on my
> laptop).  As root type "apm -s", putting your machine into suspend (or
> hibernate).  Leave for a few seconds (5ish) and then resume you
> machine.  This seems to fix the problem for me.  However sometimes do to
> the laws of probability you get this slow down occuring twice in a row :(
> just repeat those steps and hopefully the odds are on your side :)
>
> I hope this has helped
> Alex

Anyone have experience with the 15pre20 kit from woody, and whether it helps
or has no effect in this space?

* Heather